Going Green When Remodeling Your Bathroom Will Not Only Save You Money But Also the Environment
Knowing what direction you want to take your bathroom remodel might be tricky. Some people may already know exactly what they want, but for others, the endless possibilities can be a bit overwhelming. Here is one option you may want to consider – going green.
There are still many options when it comes to a green remodel, and many benefits as well. Going green can save you a significant amount of money, which you could invest back into the remodel if you would like, or put it towards another project. Since bathrooms are one of the most expensive rooms to build, saving a buck here and there can go a long way.
Here are five ways to go green:
- Reuse. Some of the existing items in your bathroom may be foregone, but maybe you can still reuse some of them. Think about repainting or refinishing a cabinet or reusing fixtures instead of throwing them away. This can save you money and it will be less wasteful.
- Save water. Saving water will save you money while saving the environment. How can you argue with that? Making choices that will save water is one of the most environmentally friendly decisions you could make. This can include choosing fixtures that will help to save water. Toilets can use around 27 percent of your household’s water, so making sure your existing toilet does not leak or investing in a new one can make a huge difference. One easy way you can make showers more efficient is to install a handheld showerhead. With these, you can cut back on the amount of water used because you can direct the stream of water. Baths waste far more energy than showers, so cut back on baths or forego the bathtub altogether. Use materials that are easy to keep clean without using harsh chemicals. Molded fiberglass is a good option for a shower and using glass doors is a good way to avoid vinyl shower curtains.
- Natural light. Use natural light to your advantage. Instead of having a dark, dreary bathroom, put windows in that will make your bathroom an enjoyable place to be. They will reduce the need for artificial light as well. Make the great view a focal point of your bathroom, and be sure to include good ventilation also.
- Modify your toilet. There are several ways you can modify your existing toilet and bathroom tweaks you can do to make it more environmentally friendly. First, if you replace your toilet lid with a washing lid – which is a sink on top of the toilet tank – the water that you use to wash your hands will then be rerouted to the toilet, to be used for flushing. Genius! Second, if you can install a no-flush urinal for the men in your family, this will save a lot of water as well.
- Choose the right sink. If you choose not to put a washing lid on your toilet, you should still make sure to choose a sink wisely.
These tips are a great way to get started thinking about going green with your bathroom remodeling plans. There are more pro tips that you can look into if you are interested, like using a solar-powered water heater, using materials that will prevent mold, and keeping humidity levels down.
Our team includes remodeling specialists certified by the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI). We will sit down with you and discuss remodeling ideas that will fit your needs and budget. Call AAA Remodeling Company today at (636) 349-5777 to request a free consultation!